From the author: These cookies are a soft and cake-like—but not too sweet—drop sugar cookie. These are very easy to make, with no rolling or cutting. The best size ice cream scoops to use for drop cookie dough like this are #80 and #100. Scoop the dough out of the bowl with the scoop, pressing the dough firmly into it. Release the dough onto the prepared cookie sheet. Each cookie will be uniform in size and texture because they will bake at the same rate.
Yields 60 cookies
5 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease cookie sheets.
- In a medium bowl, sift cake flour, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt together. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and sour cream alternately to mixture until well combined. Drop dough by ice cream scoop (or teaspoon if you don’t have an ice cream scoop) about 2” apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until golden. Allow to cool a few minutes on cookie sheets before removing to cool completely.