If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
Medina Electric Cooperative is encouraging customers to commit to efficient use of electricity which can also help lower electric bills.
Summertime in South Texas is guaranteed to bring hotter temperatures and that means most people see an increase in their energy use. Finding ways to save energy can help save on summer electric bills.
• Adjust the thermostat. Adjusting the temperature on the thermostat one to two degrees above normal is a great way to reduce energy use. Programmable thermostats can automatically adjust the temperature for hours you’re gone and when you come home.
• Seal air leaks. Air leaks silently waste money. Ensure the seals around windows, doors and air ducts are intact and that the cool air you pay for stays inside and the hot air from the outdoors stays outside!
• Use Fans. Use fans to keep cool. Having a fan on can make a person feel one to two degrees cooler. Just keep in mind that fans cool people, not rooms, and should be turned off when the room is unoccupied.
• Create Shade. Planting trees or large vegetation to create shade on the south and west windows of the house can provide relief from the sun’s heat on the home. Additionally, installing patio covers and solar window screens can also reduce excessive heat from the home.
• Cover Windows. Keep blinds, drapes or curtains closed during the day to reduce the amount of heat your window absorbs inside. This will help keep the overall temperature inside the home nice and cool.
For more energy efficiency tips, visit www.MedinaEC.org/EnergySavings.