If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
BENEFIT PLATE SALE SLATED FOR SEPT.2
A Pearsall family of four escaped unharmed early Saturday morning, as a raging fire swept through their home, however, the family dog died in the blaze.
Pearsall volunteer firefighters responded to a residence on Cherry Street shortly after 3 a.m. Saturday morning, August 26 to find the home fully engulfed in flames.
According to Fire Chief Placido Aguilar, when fire crews arrived at the residence, the rear of the home was so heavily engulfed in flames that firefighters were unable to make entry and had to fight the blaze from the outside.
“The fire was quickly spreading from the rear of the home to the front,” the fire chief said in a phone interview Saturday morning.
It took crews over an hour to control the blaze.
Investigators believe the fire started on the back porch of the house. The family was able to get out of the home without any injuries, but unfortunately their pet died.
Family and friends have organized a barbecue chicken plate sale for Saturday, September 2 at the Fireman’s Park. The event is slated to begin at 11 a.m. and the cost of each plate is $10.
“We are asking everyone to install smoke detectors and check the batteries on existing ones,” Aguilar said. “This is a matter of life and death.”
The fire chief says the installation of smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside each separate sleeping area and on every level of a home – including the basement – is a fire safety precaution that all homeowners and landlords need to take to protect residents from a fire.
According to The U.S. Fire Administration, 1,412 people have died in house fires in 2023.
The department extends their gratitude to the Moore and Dilley fire departments for their assistance.